Friday, February 20, 2009

Return to Nanny Cay February 10

It is hard to believe that my journey to the Caribbean is more than half over.....but what a wonderful time with the kids in January......back home in early February as a surprise to see Jane and now back to start the next adventure to St Maarten.

I flew down on Feb 10 with Doug Beers to Beef Island and then a cab ride over to Nanny Cay with George our driver....he is great and was waiting at the Airport when we arrived.
Unfortunately for George his transmission had gone out in his van and he was into a rental until his 8 year old Van gets replaced. I think he got his moneys worth ...it was a Mitsubishi.....

We found the boat in the water with her new bottom and a new shaft.....when they pulled the boat Lincoln, the maintenance man saw that she needed a new cutlass bearing......when the new engine went in a new drive flange was not inserted and the old one had slopped around to the point where it had disfigured the shaft...after four hours of getting it out a new one was made and all is well...preventative maintenance....what can I say....A new fan belt pulley was also put on and sized properly on the alternator. It did not match up with the engine....could have torn up the belt......Special thanks to Miles Poor and Ann for coordinating all this while I was gone. If you ever need this service in Nanny Cay I would recommend them....but make sure you understand your arrangements with all parties concerned before you proceed. Miles can be found on the boat “Katrina”.

Doug and I got the boat back into shape.....zodiac ready to go as we waited for Sherry to return on Thursday Night. Only current problem is the Salinity reader on the Watermaker was not working.....water still tastes good......something else to troubleshoot.

Sherry and I took Doug down to the East End for the Friday Night Barbecue at the Jolly Roger.....it was jammed due to the schooner races that were going to take place on Valentines Day.....great chicken and ribs.......

You will note some yard pictures I took of two beautiful wood boats.......the black one was built for General George Patton but he died before using it...
it was called “What & If”....the other pictures before we left with Doug were of Nanny Cay........and the Restaurant called Peg Leggs.......