08-07-11 Dale and family heads home on Sunday Noon from Killarney.....a wonderful spot that I noticed a lot of change in over the last six years since my visit...what did I see...Wonderful Canadian prosperity....beautiful new houses...lots of large canadian Boats......up from georgian bay....Toronto people I suspect.....great.
Doug Bears arrived with his special friend Sara Mead of Erie to help bring the boat back...Dale, Brandon and Kyle headed for Erie and we spent the day hanging out and waiting to depart in the AM for Tobermorey...about 40 miles.....our jump off for Port Huron....At this point we are 315 miles from Erie, Pa.A long way to go!
Morning comes and we are off....a beautiful day...light winds ...motoring to our evening rondeveau at Tobermorey....pictures will show we stopped for a beautiful swin on a small island coming in.....Sara and Doug christened Georgian Bay!!!!!!
Weather looking okay we departed Tobermorey at 0900 on 08-09-11 Tusday and headed for Port Huron....route right into the midddle of lake Huron...120 miles away....arrival time around 0900 on Wednesday morning.......around five PM smack in the middle across from Saganaw Bay big storms coming......I am very concerned.....hoping for thre best ...Sara is a novice...Doug and I can do it!!!!
I decided I would cook up a great meal......chicken/everything and salad as it started to get rough.....we all had a hot dinner as I waited to see what was going to happen...wind going on the nose SW ...lumpy and getting slow....Doug had called his meterioligist at WSEE......whats up....big storms coming off Michigan Peninsula...hang on but wind will turn to west later in the evening. I was down below often looking at the serius weather.....where are the big squalls...north of us and south of us.....we lucked out..
had everyone in PFD's and harnesses as sunset came down ..storms passed us by as winds started to move west around 2200hrs....With a jib open 20% we started doing 9 knots toward Port huron ...big ride.....hand on...wet...but fun....taught Sara about the thrill of big boat sailing in heavy wind.....with a wave splash in face every so often.....it's one of those night you love and hate.....moon out yah!!!!
We arrive in Port Huron and fuel.....eggs and bacon and the off to Bayview around 0900 for a pitcher of Hummer from Jerome!!!!