Well, This week from Dec 1-7 sure passed quickly......talking to Erie everyone reports cold weather and snow....fun to look forward....the Christmas winds are going to be blowing tomorrow Dec 8 meaning winds up to 35 miles per hour for quite a few days as a big high settles in.
I need to move back and tell you about last week. Monday Dec 1st started out with a tour of a very fancy recording studio where Davis Murry, a singer in the American Virgins who did the Carib 1500 records. He gave Sherry and I a tour and drove us down to the hydraulic shop...note the pictures where they work with the doors open looking at a big cruise ship in
Made it back to Red Hook in a taxi and hung around the boat fixing things...I needed to replace the foot switch on the windless and found one at the big Chandlery in
Tuesday came and went as I went over and picked up the Hydraulic Cylinder, came back and installed it and sherry did the laundry and went to the store to Provision.
Took on Fuel, made water and got ready to depart.
Wednesday Morning we sailed over to St Johns with the intent to try and find a mooring in Great Cruz Harbor where the Westin is.........turns out to be tall cotton with many Hinckley’s and Little Harbors etc all privately moored with owners off the boats....we lucked out.....young man in zodiac bombs out to out boat thinking we were a Hinckley coming in from Bermuda....we kept quiet and he stuck us on a mooring......realizing we were not the right boat along with a run in with the US Park Authorities who thought he was reselling the mooring for the night which is illegal...we ended up using it for the night. Took a ride into the Westin...very empty...and learned over a $20.00 hamburger that they had laid off a lot of employees...Nice place but liked
Arriving back on Nyanza Wednesday Night Sherry prepared Lamb Chops with Mint Jelly and artichokes......produce was wonderful in
Thursday wore me out...Sherry insisted that I had to snorkel at Trunk Bay around the corner from Caneel Bay......so off we went.....took a mooring in Hawksnest Bay and Zodiaced about four miles to Trunk Bay....it was very choppy but we got there and tied off on a dingy mooring. A beautiful beach. I donned flippers , mask and snorkel and headed for the beach...Dumb me...no life jacket...well we walked down to this very supervised snorkel area that the US parks runs that had signs under water as you snorkel of the types of coral and fish you are looking at. Real neat....well the captain gets scared....sucking saltwater and heads for shore...luck the life guard saw me struggling and came over on his surfboard and helped me the last 100 yards to shore. I am not a good swimmer...from now on only with a life vest...........
Zodiac back to the boat in four foot waves.....downwind....rather scary if the engine were to stop out in no where....
Back to the boat and on to
We ran into Destiny, 1700 Somewhere and Excalibar...three boats that did the Carib 15000 and we all met at Pussars for a Painkiller at 5 before returning to the boat for a pizza.
Friday, Dec 5 came early and we motored upwind in 20 knots the 10 miles to Nanny Cay and arrived in the mid afternoon and found the dock we will be using for the next month. Nanny Cay is a wonderful facility with excellent bathrooms, pool, restaurants and services. By far the best marina we have been in.
So much for another week in paradise......looking forward to getting back to Erie before I need to tie up a pigtail Rick Griffith style......Looking for a Barber Shop and a pedicure.......I have not had socks on for over a month and your feet really take the beating from peeling skin.
The Christmas winds are here.......the weather is very pleasant...80 degrees with quite a few clouds.....drizzles at night sometimes during the day for very short periods of time....wind that is cooling...except for high noon it is very nice.
I work on the boat every morning and late afternoon.......cleaning and waxing and taking rust off stainless steel.....salt is amazing as it tries to eat up NYANZA.....I can win the battle until May......the varnish is already starting to go on the rails.......more work.......I guess that is why I really like boats. Captain Jim