Tuesday, December 30, 2008

NYANZA attacked by ferocious Rat

I must take this opportunity to copy for you a few email sections from Sherry who had looked forward to a peaceful Christmas and New Years in Nanny Cay, Tortola with Paul.....until the boat was attacked:

December 23, 2008 from Sherry......what a boat captain.....
"Thanks for the email....I remember those frosty days. But it's been a bit frightening here too. I'm not sure if your son passed on the news about the rat /or rats onboard. I actually had the privilage to meet one in person when I was opening the cabinet- it was so gross and scared the life out of me. I'm sure my scream scared it too;-)I had to clean out almost all of the food except canned goods. After carefully examining some things I thought they missed, I found bite marks and bits eaten....so I've had to toss most of the dry goods and eat out more than I planned.Anyway, I've laid traps, glue pads, and poison, and removed all food they could get into. Then I found signs of them eating paper in the head (with rat feces in the plastic bag). I laid out bigger traps and I keep the boat closed up most of the time (especially the companion way) I haven't caught one yet but I prefer Paul to be here for that anyway."

Today December 29th I received a confirmation of the end of the rat........a fly swatter no less........here it is:
"The updated rat news is: the rat is dead! yeah! Unfortunately, Paul never had the privy of meeting the rat because it came running across the cabin floor the day I was meeting Paul at the ferry which sent me immediately running down the dock for help and some Spanish-speaking guy I grabbed helped to beat it to death with a fly swatter (I didn't want to give him anything that could mark the wood like a pan or stick) so he had to kill it with a little plastic fly swatter...lol anyway it was half poisoned and half dead by then." WHAT A WOMAN.....she beat HIM to death.

Sherry reports that they are now calling her the RAT LADY!......I guess it's time for Nyanza to move on! Happy New Year and good work Sherry. Cap Jim