Monday, November 30, 2020

False start Norfolk

 11-27-2020 Well the crew waited until Chris Parker's scheduled departure in the late morning..Captain Sherry, Cortland and David McBrier........here is Chris Parkers routing before the start....that actually got pushed out till friday...............

  Well it was not to be.......early afternoon after motoring two hours toward a rounding at Hatteras the transmission went out..........is this boat going to florida? Yes ....after being towed in by Boat US for three hours back to cobbs the saga goes on. We were lucky... Nyanza could have been a lot farther away. Its over 200 miles with no inlet....calm seas Captain Sherry got the boat back to the slip....come monday everyone is hopeful it is the PYI connection plate to the engine and not the tranny......meanwhile our Captain Sherry is getting cold!!!!!!!! to be continued....

Word of advice......when you need towing BoatUS really counts....buy it. 

Forecast Chris Parker

CWF5 - Depart: Norfolk - To: Canaveral - (s) Nyanza - Hinckley 42

James: Best time to depart Norfolk will be roughly 2pm Thu26 as this will allow enough time for the strong S-SW wind and squalls that you have tonight-Thu26 morning to settle down. 

Further abatement occurs as you move along NC overnight as wind veers from SW<W-NW before dawn Fri27 morning then tame W-NW wind in the low teens is expected as you round Hatteras Fri27 midday-afternoon.

 A very weak reinforcing TROF could enhance NW wind in areas SW of Hatteras Fri27 evening-overnight to the mid teens but wind settles again from NW<N as you pass CpFear Sat28.

 We believe you will need to stop in roughly Charleston by Sun29 midday-afternoon as wind veers from NE<SE and rebuilds to the mid to upper teens.

 Wind surges as it veers from SE<SSW ahead of next FRONT Sun29 night to above GALE force before dawn Mon30. So if you are still out there after roughly 3pm Sun29 you can only expect wind and seas to get more and more inclement each hour.

GULF Stream shoreward edge:

Off Hatteras near 35-10N/75-18W

Near 34-15N/76-10W

Near 33N/77-40W

Near 32N/79W

 FORECAST:

Depart Norfolk roughly 2pm Thu26: SW@12-20<8-14g17k Seas 3-5'<2-4'/5-8secS-SW; Mostly dry close reach sailing

 Thu26 night near 36-20N/75-20W: Variable mainly SW<W  under 12k Seas 2-4<2-3'/5-8secS-SW; Mostly dry close reach motor sailing

 Fri27 morning near 35-40N/75-20W: Variable mainly W-NW under 12k Seas 2-3'/5-8secS & W; Mostly dry close reach sailing

 Fri27 midday near 35-08N/75-25W: W-NW under 12k Seas 2-4'/5-8secVariable SE & W-NW; Mostly dry close or beam reach motor sailing

 Fri27 evening near 34-45N/76W: WNW-NW@8-15g18k Seas 2-4'/5-8secVariable from SE-S and W-NW; close or beam reach sailing

 Sat28 morning near 34N/77-10W: NW<N@7-12g15k Seas 2-4'/6-9secN-NE; Mostly dry motor sailing

 Sat28 evening 33-05N/78-20W: N<NE@10-15g18k Seas 2-4'/6-9secNE-ENE; Mostly dry Broad reach sailing

 Sun29 morning 32-45N/79-30W: NE<E@10-16g20k Seas 3-4'/6-9secNE-ENE; mostly dry broad reach sailing

 Sun29 afternoon 32-45N/79-50W: E@10-15<SE@12-20g25k Seas 3-4'/6secENE<4-6'/6-9secSE; Stray<Isolated squalls to 30k; broad or beam reach sailing

 Sun29 night along SC: SE@15-20<SSW@25-32g40k; 4-6'/6-9secSE<8-12'/7-10secSSE-SSW; Isolated<Scattered-Numerous to 30-40k.

 Stormy Stickle - Stormy@mwxc.com


_After the transmission failure Friday Nov 27 off Ruddy Inlet____________________________________________________

Sherry / Court:

I think you have a good window around the middle of next week...about 48-60 hours, beginning Wed2 morning / arriving somewhere along Carolinas sometime Fri4.

So I would try to get the transmission fixed by end of day Tue1, or at least by sometime Wed2 so you could leave late Wed2.

 LET US KNOW when we can help...Chris.

--
Chris Parker
Weather Forecasting & Vessel Routing
www.mwxc.com
Marine Weather & Communications LLC (and dba Marine Weather Center)
5130 Medulla Rd
Lakeland FL 33811
all voice calls 863-248-2702
cell for text only 941-915-7608

 On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 8:22 AM SHERRY BURGER <sherryburger@me.com> wrote:

Hi Chris,

After we departed from Norfolk yesterday at 0600 we experienced transmission failure just off the coast of Rudee Inlet,VA.  We were unable to troubleshoot or repair the transmission and were towed back to Little Creek.

I've scheduled a tech for Monday and I will update you when we can depart again.  

 Maybe I should get a Christmas tree for the bow?

 Thanks!

Sherry

Nyanza, Hinckley 42'

Email: sherryburger@me.com

US Mobile: +1 954 803 8269