04-15-09 What a wonderful ending to my trip to the Carribean......
Sherry arrived back on Sunday at St John all excited about her new grandson and her chance to get back up to Norfolk to see the baby before the trip North.....8 pounds.....everyone was their for the new arrival Tristan Anthony Delrio.......Sherry and Sherry’s mom and dad Linda and Dennis Cinelli. Oh I forgot to tell you about the parents of the new family, Sherry’s daughter Shayna_and Anthony. Anthony is a career Navy Seal and unfortunately has to leave this week to go back to the Middle East or somewhere to help America. Good bless him and thanks.
Rich and Shelah left the Westin on Sunday having had a great time......where else can you go to see the BVI’s and two nice resorts by water...you got it yacht “NYANZA”.
Taking a day to rest from everything.....Sherry and I departed from St Johns the morning of Tuesday, April 14 for my last sail in the Carribean aboard NYANZA in 2009. We headed out of Great Cruz Bay in 20 knots right out into the Carribean Sea to the south for about an hour in 6 foot seas and a ¾ genoa open, then came in around Dog Island, St Thomas and went into Christmas Cove on Great St James Island........dropped anchor for lunch.....Sherry took a snorkel trip over to a great little island.....then fresh tuna on romaine lettuce with wasabi and a chutney topping on the tuna......Wonderful!
Following lunch we headed toward Red Hook and the American Yacht Marina to end the trip for Captain Jim.
I felt sad that it had come to an end but as we all know you only get to go to paradise a few times in your life and I was very fortunate that I was able to make this happen and that I got this privilege. I hope that everyone that has been following my blog can get a chance to do what they want to do at some point in there life!
Remember “Its easy to dream but following you dream takes the will to commit....and then you have to go for it.”
Today is Wednesday....the Zodiac is put away, the outboard on it’s post in back, the cutter rig is set to house the storm jib, the fuel tank is topped off with 60 gallons plus 5 jerry cans with 25 more gallons, the oils is changed, water maker filters changed.....etc etc.
NYANZA is starting her long journey home to her slip at the Erie Yacht Club in Erie, Pa.
Somewhere around 2600 miles.. I wonder who the last sailor from Erie was to sail to St Martin and back with his boat from Erie. Pa.? Perhaps Bob Way?
She has been salty enough.
You might wonder who is bring her home.....Captain Dave Block from Buffalo, Phil Dolsen from Mentor and Captain Sherry Burger.
I cannot say enough about Sherry, a wonderful find and a wonderful Captain that is going to make sure that NYANZA arrives home as pretty as she left. I would recommend this woman to anyone....she is going to team up with her 10 year boyfriend Paul and run a big charter boat.....hope I can get a ride.......Thanks Sherry.....
I will keep everyone posted on NYANZA coming north....I am hopeful we will all see her in Erie around mid May where we will have a party for everyone involved in this trip, stageing etc at EYC.......
Thanks for all the support everyone and especially to my wife Jane, who has supported my trip, but had to put up with lonely nights and a horrible winter in Erie while I pursued my bucket.
Captain Jim